NBN Update for Tasmania – National Broadband Network

Photo Credit: selva via Compfight cc

Photo Credit: selva via Compfight cc

* The very latest update concerning the NBN for October 2014 can be found at this link. We are connected with the NBN and it is really worth having.

The NBN is proceeding in Tasmania and 6 towns and suburbs which were part of the initial launch are about to have the copper switched off.

The areas to be NBN only from 23 May are:

  • Deloraine
  • George Town
  • Kingston Beach
  • Sorell
  • St Helens
  • Triabunna

The story below is from The Mercury.

Six towns warned just one week to sign up to NBN before copper network will be cut

Residents and businesses in six Tasmanian towns have just over a week to sign up to an NBN service before phone and internet services on the old copper network are switched off.

In an Australian first, the old copper network at Deloraine, George Town, Kingston Beach, Sorell, St Helens and Triabunna will close down, with services transferred to the National Broadband Network.

About 8400 homes and businesses will be affected.

NBN spokeswoman Lalla Mackenzie said all phones, fax machines, alarm systems and broadband internet services that use the copper network would be cut off.

Emergency phones in lifts and a small number of business services will continue to work.

Ms Mackenzie said anyone who did not sign up to the NBN before May 23 would be cut off.

She said they would continue to hear a soft dial tone when they picked up the phone for 20 days, but they could only call emergency services and would hear a re­corded message with details about transferring to the NBN.

Ms Mackenzie said “a high proportion” of people in af­fected areas had already ­chosen a new provider and made the switch, while others had made the decision to rely mobile phone services.

She said people have had 18 months’ notice of the shutdown and NBN Co had carried out extensive public consultation, with representatives attending community events including fairs, markets and public meetings, and doorknocking affected areas and sending information by mail.

“We’ve tried to leave no stone unturned,” Ms Mac­kenzie said.

She said people who made the switch would have faster internet and would notice that calls were clearer.

“It’s a seamless transition,” she said.

Old copper networks will be switched off later in the year at South Hobart, Smithton and Scottsdale.

We have had the NBN at our place in Sandy Bay since about mid 2013 and even though we are soon to move, luckily we are moving to an NBN area. I have a feeling Dale may not have moved otherwise!

The latest information on the Tasmanian rollout of the NBN project comes from The Mercury Newspaper on 17 July 2014:

TasICT executive officer Dean Winter says Federal Communications Min­ister Malcolm Turnbull should visit Tasmania with a plan to get the NBN rollout happening
again.

A SENATE report which yesterday rejected changes to the NBN Bill affecting its rollout in Tasmania has led to calls for Federal Communications Min­ister
Malcolm Turnbull to come to the state to fix the stalled project.

TasICT executive officer Dean Winter said the committee’s report and recommendation to not pass the Bill was no surprise.

“Tasmania needs better leadership on the NBN,” Mr Winter said.

“Malcolm Turnbull’s been minister now for nine months and he hasn’t been to Tasmania since last April. He needs to come to Tasmania and explain what the
issues are and outline an action plan to get it moving again.”

The call follows yesterday’s release of a Senate report which recommends a rejection of proposed amendments to the NBN Bill.

In March, Labor Senator Anne Urquhart introduced the National Broadband Network Companies Amendment Bill 2014 to look into the slowed rollout in Tasmania.

In the Senate committee’s report, chairwoman Anne Ruston said amendments proposed, including rolling out fibre-to-the-premises broadband throughout the
state, would restrict NBN Co.

Mr Winter said the slow down was a mystery.

“The biggest annoyance we have with the NBN at the ­moment is last year when the NBN was stalled we were told what the issues were. Now, we don’t even
know why it’s going so slowly,” he said.

Senator Urquhart said the Coalition had failed on its promise to deliver fibre-to-the-premises broadband to ­Tasmania.

Fibre to the premises is ­expected to be rolled out across the state until the end of the year before reversion to a mix of technologies.

Senator Urquhart said the committee’s report continued a distortion of facts that were presented in the NBN Co’s strategic review.

“Nothing in the submissions by NBN Co or the ­Department of Communications provides a reason why Minister Turnbull’s commitment … to rollout the fibre-to-the-premises
NBN, as contracted, cannot be fulfilled,” she said.

Many suburbs are now falling behind their timelines and work is not being completed. We do not know the reasons for this.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

One Comment

  1. DaleReardon May 12, 2014 at 5:53 pm - Reply

    Yes indeed the NBN was a priority for the new house. Glad to say it is now connected at the new house and awaiting our arrival and usage.

    Dale.

Leave A Comment

1 Shares
Share1
Tweet
+1
Pin
Share